Is it possible to get rid of used hearing aids? The answer is always the same whether you decide to upgrade to a more advanced model such as cochlear implants or you got them from a departed family member: your pre-owned hearing aids should be donated versus throwing them away.
There are several organizations that collect and circulate used hearing aids to individuals who need them, and there are lots of people who need them. Keep reading to find out how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why It’s Important to Contribute a Used Hearing Aid
- Around 14% of the overall population, has loss of hearing
- Of all of the adults suffering from hearing loss 91% percent are above 50 years old
- 15% of school-age children have some kind of hearing loss
- Almost 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually utilize hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Fewer than 30% of people over 70 who require hearing aids have ever used them
This is very worrisome. Because neglected hearing loss has been linked to several health issues from an increased risk of falling to mental decline and depression. The relevance of your hearing to your overall health is supported by new research being released regularly. Getting hearing aids can prevent these health issues (and in certain situations even reverse them).
And hearing loss will cost the typical family up to $12,000 each year which should be a really persuasive point. But that cost can actually be decreased by as much as 50% by using hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 each year, it may simply not be feasible for them to pay for a hearing aid.
Your old hearing aid can have a big effect, in the overall health, quality of life and financial well-being, for an individual in need who couldn’t normally afford a hearing aid. It might also cost a child the ability to go to college and make their lives better because they are unable to hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
There are many volunteer groups and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come by and we can help you find a recycling strategy. Or you can simply give us a call.